Sweet, those links very very useful :).

and should most definitely help :)

One overriding concern I have:
1) if I were to simply update the config to use a different mergeFactor, and
restart the solr server, (would it then adjust the segments accordingly?) or
would I need to start from scratch..(i.e. re-index all the data).

2) like above, should I chose a new mergingPolicy (such as Zoie),I take I
would need to rebuild the entire index from scratch?

I suspect I'm going to have to bullet, and do all from scratch again :(
Is there a perhaps a tool that enables taking once index reprocessing it
again by forwarding all the data into another solr instance?