On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM, sivaram <yogendra.bopp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So you are saying that it all depends on how we setup the Solr? In a
> performance perspective, does Solr lags behind Lucene because it's a layer
> above Lucene to our application or will it have a better indexing and
> searching techniques than Lucene? (when talking about really big indexes)

That's an apples to oranges comparison - lucene is a library and solr
is a server.
You can't really "run" lucene on it's own... so some of your
application code will do stuff that solr probably already does.
So performance-wise it's less about solr vs lucene and more about solr
vs your potential custom application.  On that basis, Solr can be
either slower or faster.

If you have really specialized needs, you can always gain speed by
dropping down to a lower level.  The decision to be made is if your
needs are that special, what your requirements are, and if the extra
development cost is worth it.  If you're doing something really
different, Solr could be the completely wrong solution.

It's the same with databases... you could *always* get better
performance by putting in enough effort and doing custom code rather
than using an off the shelf product like MySQL.  Just like you could
always get better performance dropping from Java to C, from C to
assembler, and moving from general purpose processors to ASICs or
GPUs, etc.

I guess this is a very long winded way of saying "it depends" ;-)

-Yonik
http://lucidimagination.com