From: Kai Schlamp [mailto:kai.schl...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2011 11:14 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Different options for autocomplete/autosuggestion

Hi.

There seems to be several options for implementing an
autocomplete/autosuggestions feature with Solr. I am trying to
summarize those possibilities together with their advantages and
disadvantages. It would be really nice to read some of your opinions.

* Using N-Gram filter + text field query
+ available in stable 1.4.x
+ results can be boosted
+ sorted by best matches
- may return duplicate results

* Facets
+ available in stable 1.4.x
+ no duplicate entries
- sorted by count
- may need an extra N-Gram field for infix queries

* Terms
+ available in stable 1.4.x
+ infix query by using regex in 3.x
- only prefix query in 1.4.x
- regexp may be slow (just a guess)

* Suggestions
? Did not try that yet. Does it allow infix queries?

* Field Collapsing
+ no duplications
- only available in 4.x branch
? Does it work together with highlighting? That would be a big plus.

What are your experiences regarding autocomplete/autosuggestion with
Solr? Any additions, suggestions or corrections? What do you prefer?

Kai