yes we are having physical memory issues, but do does anyone know for a fact
if there is direct correlation between be segment counts and RAM - memory?

i.e. when the system begins a search on a segment, does it load that
segments full index.  Or does the system load All index data for all
Segments?

i.e. if I had for example 1000 segments, and it only loaded the index for
each segment it was searching, (assuming it 'indexes' through the
segments..hence this is why it would take longer to query on system with
many segments..as it must go through each segment one at a time), I would
assume this would require significantly less memory then loading 1 full
index on a system with only 10 segments. (assuming same total Index size).

Also I am considering switching to Zoie, but have encountered some
issues..(will posting on that shortly).

Dan