Jeffery:

It's perfectly appropriate to raise a JIRA for something like this.

If you could add the steps to make this happen, that'd be great.

see: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute#Contributing_your_work.

If you can add a patch, that'd be even better (instructions on that page
too). You'll
find the Solr committers are quite willing to work with you on the patch.

Thanks for finding this and digging into the underlying reason!

Best
Erick