Reply Inline:
On Apr 6, 2011, at 8:12 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:

> Hmmm, this should work just fine. Here are my questions.
>
> 1> are you absolutely sure that the new synonym file
>     is available when reindexing?
Not sure what you mean here, solr is running as root, and the file is never
moved around or anything crazy.
> 2> does the sunspot program do anything wonky with
>     the ids? The documents
>     will only be replaced if the IDs are identical.
Is there a way I can add debugging to show what it's doing with the IDs or
something to view the index?  I tried using Luke, but I can't get it to
actually show me the actual data of the objects, only the name and some other
basic info.
> 3> are you sure that a commit is done at the end?
It appears that it commits a few times during reindexing.
> 4> What happens if you optimize? At that point, maxdocs
>     and numdocs should be the same, and should be the count
>     of documents. if they differ by a factor of 2, I'd suspect your
>     id field isn't being used correctly.
I'm unaware of what you mean by optimizing, or even viewing maxdocs and
numdocs, but I will RTFM to find out.  I did notice something strange earlier
though that may relate to this.  When I ran a search there were duplicate
results.