I know I'm late to the party, but I recently learned that field compression was
removed as of Solr 1.4.1. I think a lot of sites were relying on that feature,
so I'm curious what people are doing now that it's gone. Specifically, what are
people doing to efficiently store *and highlight* large fulltext fields? I can
think of ways to store the text efficiently (compress it myself), or highlight
it (leave it uncompressed), but not both at the same time.

Also, is anyone working on anything to restore compression to Solr? I
understand it was removed because Lucene removed support for it, but I was
hoping to upgrade my site to 3.1 soon and we rely on that feature.

- Charlie