Thanks for your response!

I think the issue is that the records are being returned TOO fast from
MySQL. I can dump them to CSV in about 30 minutes, but building the
solr index takes hours on the system I'm using. I may just need to use
a more powerful Solr instance so it doesn't leave MySQL hanging for
too long?

What about autoCommit, does that factor in to your import strategy?