Under the hood, Lucene can support this by keeping multiple commit
points in the index.

So you'd make a new commit whenever you finish indexing the updates
from each hour, and record that this is the last "searchable" commit.

Then you are free to commit while indexing the next hour's worth of
changes, but these commits are not marked as searchable.

But... this is a low level Lucene capability and I don't know of any
plans for Solr to support multiple commit points in the index.

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com