Hello,
I'm quite a beginner in solr and have many doubts while trying to learn how
everything works.
I have only a slight idea on how TrieFields work.
The thing is I have an integer value that will always be in the range 0-1000. A
short field would be enough for this, but there is no such TrieShortField (not
even a SortableShortField). So, I used a TrieIntField.
My doubt is, in this case, what would be a suitable value for precisionStep. If
the field had only 1000 distinct values, but they were more or less uniformly
distributed in the 32-bit int range, probably a big precisionStep would be
suitable. But as my values are in the range 0 to 1000, I think (without much
knowledge) that a low precisionStep should be more adequate. For example, 2.
Can anybody, please, help me finding a good configuration for this type? And,
if possible, can anybody explain in a brief and intuitive way what are the
differences and tradeoffs of choosing smaller or bigger precisionSteps?
Thanks a lot,

Juan