Optimizing an index forces segments to merge. Usually, segments are merged
automatically based on your mergeFactor setting. During a merge documents
flagged for deletion are really purged and the number of segments is reduces
which improves search performance. There are some good pages on mergeFactor
around. Haven't got a link at hand.