Yeah, ignore the 'multiple cores' you are seeing in the docs there, that's about something else unrelated to CPU's, as you discovered, has nothing to do with what you're asking about, put it out of your mind.

I kind of think you should get multi-CPU use 'for free' as a Java app too. It does for me, heavy Solr usage, I look at my stats, multiple CPU cores are being excersized. (Of course, this is never going to be perfectly efficient, you aren't going to get double performance by doubling the CPUs in one box, there are various bottlenecks, as we all know).

There are also some Java GC tuning you want to do with multiple cores, the default JVM settings aren't usually appropriate. (You want to background thread your GC, I forget the magic JVM invocations). But that's probably not related to your issue if you don't even see more than one CPU being exersized at all, weird.