I should have explained that the queryMode parameter is for our own custom
filter.  So the result is that we have 8 filters in our field definition.
All the filter parameters (30 or so) of the query time and index time are
identical EXCEPT for our one custom filter which needs to know if it's in
query time or index time mode.  If we could determine inside our custom code
whether we're indexing or querying, then we could omit the query time
definition entirely and save about 50 lines of configuration and be much
less error prone.

One possible solution would be if we could get at the SolrCore from within a
filter.  Then at init time we could iterate through the filter chains and
determine when we find a factory == this.  (I've done this in other places
where it's useful to know the name of a ValueSourceParser for example)