Ah! That was the problem. The version was 1.0. I'll change it to 1.2. Thanks!

-Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hostetter [mailto:hossman_luc...@fucit.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:33 PM
To: Simon, Richard T
Cc: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: getFieldValue always returns an ArrayList?

: We haven't changed Solr versions. We've been using 3.1.0 all along.

but that's not what i'm talking about.  I'm talking about the "schema
version" ... a specific property declared in your schema.xml file.

did you check it?

(even when people start with Solr X, they sometimes are using schema.xml
files provided by external packages -- Drupal, wordpress, etc... -- and
don't notice that those are from older versions)

: Plus, I have some code that runs during indexing and retrieves the
: fields from a SolrInputDocument, rather than a SolrDocument. That code
: gets Strings without any problem, and always has, even without saying
: multiValued="false".

SolrInputDocument's are irelevant.  they are used to index data, but they
don't know anything about the schema.  A SolrInputDocument might be
completely invalid because of multiple values for singled value fields, or
missing values for required fields, etc...   what comes back from a search
*is* consistent with the schema (even when there is only one value stored
in a multiValued field)

-Hoss