: I am not sure if I can use function queries this way. I have a query
: like this"attributeX:[* TO ?]" in my DB. I replace the ? with input from
: the front end. Obviously, this works fine. However, what I really want
: to do is "attributeX:[* TO (3 * ?)]" Is there anyway to embed the
: results of a function query inside the query?

not really ... you'd need to do that evaluation in whatever code
substitutes the value.

the thing people tend to forget about "function queries" and the "function
syntax" in solr is that it's not about simple numerics -- the function is
applied against every document, and the result is the set of scores across
all documents, so it isn't even possibly to implement a syntax where the
output of a function is used as the endpoint of a range, because the
output of that function could be different for every doc.

-Hoss