"But a multi-core setup is a multi-core setup, there's no way to have an
index accessible at a non-core URL in a multi-core setup."

Isn't there? What about "defaultCoreName" parameter? from the wiki: "The
name of a core that will be used for requests that don't specify a core. If
you have one core and want to use the features specified on this page, then
this provides a way to keep your URLs the same."

You will need to set up the directory structure for that core, something
like:

solrHome
---- originalCore (new core directory)
--------  conf (existing running index)
---- core1 (new core directory)
-------- conf (new configuration)
---- solr.xml (declare both cores, and set "originalCore" as defaultCoreName
)

Haven't tried it, but I think it should work.
See http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin#solr