As I'm using solr more and more, I'm finding that I need to do searches and
then order by new criteria.  So I am constantly add new fields into solr
 and then reindexing everything.

I want to know if adding in all this data into solr is the normal way to
deal with sorting.  I'm finding that I have almost a whole copy of my
database in solr.

Should I be pulling out all the data from solr and then sort in my database?
 This solution seems like it would take too long.
Could/Should I just move to solr as my primary store so I can query directly
against it without having to reindex all the time?

Right now we store about 50 million docs, but the size is growing pretty
fast and it is a pain to reindex everything everytime I add a new column to
sort by.