I appreciate your replies and ideas.

SpanQuery would work, and I'll look into this further. However, what about
the original question? Is there no way to match documents on a per-element
basis against a multivalued field? If not, would it perhaps make sense to
create a feature request?

Also, regarding the join support you guys have mentioned: is it only on a
field within the same core, or is it across cores (as if cores are tables in
a database)? Joining on cores would eliminate most of the issues I'm having.
The examples I gave are simplified, but actually I have an entity A that has
entity B that has entity C, and I'm flattening out queriable fields of B and
C into the schema for A. This way, I can search for documents for the core A
that match some criteria for A, B, and/or C.