That's not what I get. This is for Solr 3.3, but there's no
reason that I know of that other versions should give
different results.

Here's the field def form the 3.3 example, this is just
the standard implementation.

  <fieldType name="text_en_splitting" class="solr.TextField"
positionIncrementGap="100" autoGeneratePhraseQueries="true">
      <analyzer type="index">
        <!-- in this example, we will only use synonyms at query time
        <filter class="solr.SynonymFilterFactory"
synonyms="index_synonyms.txt" ignoreCase="true" expand="false"/>
        -->
        <!-- Case insensitive stop word removal.
          add enablePositionIncrements=true in both the index and query
          analyzers to leave a 'gap' for more accurate phrase queries.
        -->
        <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory"
                ignoreCase="true"
                words="stopwords_en.txt"
                enablePositionIncrements="true"
                />
generateWordParts="1" generateNumberParts="1" catenateWords="1"
catenateNumbers="1" catenateAll="0" splitOnCaseChange="1"/>
        <filter class="solr.KeywordMarkerFilterFactory"
protected="protwords.txt"/>
        <filter class="solr.PorterStemFilterFactory"/>
      </analyzer>
      <analyzer type="query">
        <filter class="solr.SynonymFilterFactory"
synonyms="synonyms.txt" ignoreCase="true" expand="true"/>
        <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory"
                ignoreCase="true"
                words="stopwords_en.txt"
                enablePositionIncrements="true"
                />
generateWordParts="1" generateNumberParts="1" catenateWords="0"
catenateNumbers="0" catenateAll="0" splitOnCaseChange="1"/>
        <filter class="solr.KeywordMarkerFilterFactory"
protected="protwords.txt"/>
        <filter class="solr.PorterStemFilterFactory"/>
      </analyzer>
    </fieldType>

At index time, it produces the tokens for manchester-united
pos 1             pos 2
manchester united
                    manchesterunited

at query time, manchesterunited matches, it isn't transformed and
matches on the second row
manchester united and manchester-united
both parse to
manchester united
and match the first row.

So somehow we're not doing the same thing. Try
attaching &debugQuery=on to your query and post the results.
Also try looking at the admin/analysis page and see what
that tells you.

Best
Erick

P.S. Did you re-index after your schema changes?