Hard to say, so I'll list the exact steps I took:
-Downloaded apache-solr-3.3.0 (I like to stick with releases vs. svn)
-Untar and cd
-ant
-Wrote my class below (under a peer directory in apache-solr-3.3.0)
-javac -cp
../dist/apache-solr-core-3.3.0.jar:../lucene/build/lucene-core-3.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
com/civicscience/SpellingQueryConverter.java
-jar cf cs.jar com
-Unzipped solr.war (under example)
-Added my cs.jar to lib (under web-inf)
-Rezipped solr.war
-Added: <queryConverter name="queryConverter"
class="com.civicscience.SpellingQueryConverter"/> to solrconfig.xml
-Restarted jetty

And, that seemed to all work.

will