copyField should only be used if there's a good reason, that is
you need to tokenize/analyze stuff differently, for instance
faceting.

It's not so much a matter of the index size, as whether the
copyFields are necessary to get your needed functionality.

You're right that you can construct queries across several fields
as your example. Another strategy would be to just use
(e)dismax.

Best
Erick