Many thanks Erick.

I think a good feature to add to Solr to address this is
to allow a query to return either the "document" as a result
or the matching (multivalued) fields of a document as individual results
(subject to paging too).
Because sometimes the field value (only) is the desired result list.

Since Solr already touches the index for the field match and paging,
all the logic is already there to return only the field results (and some
document metadata perhaps).

I will ponder a way to do this with a query handler maybe.