What is the machine used for? Was your user looking at
a master? Slave? Something used for both?

Measuring the size of all the files in the index? Or looking
at memory?

The index files shouldn't be getting bigger unless there
were indexing operations going on. Is it at all possible that
DIH was configured to run automatically (or any other
indexing job for that matter) and your user didn't realize it?

Best
Erick