Also you may use the script transformer to explicitly remove the field
from the document if the field is null. I do this for all my sdouble
and sdate fields ... its a bit manual and I would like to see Solr
enhanced to simply skip stuff like this by having a flag for its DIH
code but until then it suffices:

... transformer="DateFormatTransformer,script:skipEmptyFields"

  <script>
        <![CDATA[
        function skipEmptyFields(row) {
            var regularPrice = row.get( 'regularPrice' );
            if ( regularPrice == null || regularPrice == '' ) {
                row.remove( 'regularPrice' );
            }
            var salePrice = row.get( 'salePrice' );
            if ( salePrice == null || salePrice == '' ) {
                row.remove( 'salePrice' );
            }
            return row;
        }