What is the best algorithm for escaping strings before sending to Solr? Does
someone have some code?

A few things I have witnessed in "q" using DIH handler
* Double quotes - " that are not balanced can cause several issues from an
error (strip the double quote?), to no results.
* Should we use + or %20 ­ and what cases make sense:
> * "Dr. Phil Smith" or "Dr.+Phil+Smith" or "Dr.%20Phil%20Smith" - also what is
> the impact of double quotes?
* Unmatched parenthesis I.e. Opening ( and not closing.
> * (Dr. Holstein
> * Cardiologist+(Dr. Holstein
Regular encoding of strings does not always work for the whole string due to
several issues like white space:
* White space works better when we use back quote "Bill\ Bell" especially
when using facets.

Thoughts? Code? Ideas? Better Wikis?