we had an understanding problem:)

docs are the docs in index.
files are the files in the index directory (index parts).

during the optimization you don't delete docs if they are don't flagged as
deleted.
but you merge your index und delete the files in your index directory, thats
right.

after an second optimize the files are deleted which were opened for
reading.

Regards