Because the distributed indexing phase of SolrCloud will not use replication,
we have not really gone down this path at all.

One thing we are considering is adding the ability to add various roles to each
shard as hints - eg a shard might be designated a searcher and another an
indexer.

You might be able to piggy back on this to label things master/slave. A
ZooKeeper aware replication handler could then use this information.

There is nothing to stop you from adding this information to zookeeper
yourself, using standard zookeeper tools - but just putting the information is
only half the problem - something then needs to read it.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com
2011.lucene-eurocon.org | Oct 17-20 | Barcelona