It looks to me like you changed the analysis
chain for the field in question by removing
stemmers of some sort or other. The quickest
way to answer this kind of question is to get
familiar with the admin/analysis page (don't
forget to check the verbose checkboxes). Enter
the term in both the index and query boxes and
hit the button. It shows you exactly what parts
of the chain performed what actions.

So you index analysis chain probably removed
the plurals, but your query-side didn't. So I'm
guessing that not only didn't it show the
metadata, it didn't even find the document in
question.

But that's a guess at this point.

Best
Erick