I am surprised by the results I am getting from a search in a Solr 3.4

My schema has a multivalued field of type 'string' :

<field name="qua_code" type="string" multiValued="true" indexed="true"
stored="true"/>

The field values are 7-digit or 9-digit integer numbers; this corresponds to
a hierarchy. I could have used a numeric type instead of string but no
numerical operations are performed against the values.

Now, each document contains 0-N values for this field, such as:

8625774
1234567
123456701
123456702
123456703
9384738

When I make a search on facet.qua_code=1234567 , I am getting the counts I
expect (seemingly correct) + a large number of counts for *other* field
values (e.g. 9384738).

If I reword the query as 'facet.query=qua_code:1234567 TO 1234567', I only
get the expected counts.

I can also filter out the extraneous results with a facet.prefix clause.

Should I file an issue or am I misunderstanding something about faceting on
multivalued fields ?

Thanks.