As an alternative, I can suggest this one which worked great for me:

- generate the ready-for-indexing XML documents on a file system
- use curl to feed them into Solr

I am not dealing with huge volumes, but was surprised at how *fast* Solr was
indexing my documents using this simple approach. Also, the workflow is easy
to manage. And the XML contents can easily be provisioned to multiple
systems e.g. for setting up test environments.

Regards,

Alain