Whether removing the filter of not really depends on the use of it in the
search and what result is expected from it.
Have a look at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters#solr.EdgeNGramFilterFactory

I'd say you should find out what exactly are the requirements for the
search, read a bit about the TokenFactories and TokenFilters, then you could
define exactly what to do.

I wild guess says to me that you should remove the EdgeNGramFilter from the
query analyzers.
I believe when you do that your query will return "apple" when searching for
"appl" but will not return "appl" when searching for "apple".

Regards,

Dirceu