I think in the past I've tried that, and it has restarted, although I will have
to try it out (this time we were loath to stop it as we didn't want any index
corruption issues).

A related question is, why did the optimize start? I thought it had to be
explicitly started, but somehow it started optimzing on it's own.

Thanks again
Brendan