If I have 2 masters in a master-master setup, where one master is the
live master and the other master acts as backup in slave mode, and
then during failover the slave master accepts new documents, such that
indexes become out of sync, how can original live master index get
back into sync with the slave master index?

To be more clear:

M1 - master SOLR server in master mode accepting all new document posts
M2 - master SOLR server in slave mode pulling index replicas from M1

M1 fails, so that new documents are posted to M2.

M1 comes back to live, but now has index without new documents added
to M1 index.

How do I get M1 index back in sync with M2 index?

Of course, it can be some manual copy of index directory from M2 to
M1, or a re-config of M1 as a slave to pull replicas from M2 and then
re-configure, etc.

Is there a better or simpler way that is automatic or some other best
practice?  Is it possible for both M1 and M2 be configured as slaves
of each other so that they try to keep indexes in sync between
themselves?  I am not sure how index "versioning" works with
replication.

Thanks
Bob