I would not optimize - it's very expensive. With 11,000 updates a day, I think
it makes sense to completely avoid optimizing.

That should be your default move in any case. If you notice performance suffers
more than is acceptable (good chance you won't), then I'd use a lower merge
factor. It defaults to 10 - lower numbers will lower the number of segments in
your index, and essentially amortize the cost of an optimize.

Optimize is generally only useful when you will have a mostly static index.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com