On Nov 9, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Rafał Kuć wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I was looking for a way to implement distributed indexing in Solr.
> From looking at the https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2358
> there was some work done to enable Solr to distribute the documents to
> shards without the need of 3rd party software before Solr. What I
> would like to know if this is the road Solr will take to make things
> work.

Yup - we are slowly marching down it on the solrcloud branch in svn. We have
some work to do to finish the basic scaffolding, and clean some things up - we
should be able to start working on recovery soon.

> Maybe there was some additional work done with distributed
> indexing ?

Yeah, we have made a bit of progress on the solrcloud branch - but there is
still much to do!

At a very simple level, there is an impl of a distributed update handler that
works in the simple case attached to that issue, but it's got lots of
limitations that we will hopefully address with the in-progress Distributed
Indexing work.

> --
> Regards,
> Rafał Kuć