:    1. is the maxFieldLength parameter deprecated?
:    2. what is maxFieldLength counting? I understood it's counting tokens
:    per document (not per field)
:    3. what if I simply remove the maxFieldLength setting from the
:    solrconfig?

1. it has been deprecated and will not be used in Solr 4x, but still
exists in Solr 3x

2. It should be terms per field per document, not just per document.

3) if you don't specify it in solrconfig.xml it defaults to "-1" which
means no limit.

: From what I see if I remove it from the solrconfig the text values are
: still constrained to some bound since if I query the last term in a long
: document's text I don't get a match.

a) what version of solr are you using?
b) double check both the mainIndex and indexDefaults sections of your
solrconfig.xml and make sure maxFieldLength isn't in either of them.

-Hoss