So I thought that Solr having a decent HTML search UI out of the box was a good
idea.  I still do.  But it's been a bit of a pain to maintain (originally it
was a contrib module, then core, then folks didn't want it as a core
dependency, and now it is back as a contrib), and the UI has accumulated a fair
bit of cruft/ugliness as folks have tacked on "the kitchen sink" into it
compared to my idealistic generic (not specific to the example data) lean and
clean sensibilities.

What should be done?  Who actually cares about VRW or the /browse interface?
And if you do care, what do you like or dislike about it?  And if you really
really care, patches welcome! ;)

Perhaps, as I'm starting to feel in general about open source pet projects,
add-on's, "monkey patches" to open source software, it should be moved out of
Solr's repo altogether and maintained elsewhere (say my personal or Lucid's
github).

I appreciate your candid thoughts on this.

        Erik