The thing is that, if you use stemming you would prefer using it both on
index and query phases. So once you have stemmed your data in the index
phase, changing query parser not to stem wouldn't help, right?
In our company we did so that before stemming a word we would append some
unseen character sequence, like #_; (you can find your own) to the word and
push it back to the term array. Then apply stemming on the whole array of
terms, and of course the words appended with special char sequence won't
get stemmed. The will not reduce the index size compared to a copy field,
but gives you the opportunity to handle stemmed and unstemmed words in the
same field. You would of course need to teach your query parser how to
manage it, but that's not complicated.

What is the SOLR version you are using btw?

Dmitry