There's no easy/efficient way that I know of to do this. Perhaps a good
question is what value-add this is going to make for your app and is
there a better way to convey this information. For instance, would
highlighting convey "enough" information to your user?

You're right that you don't want to enable debug in production, it
can take quite a long time (see the timings when you DO enable
debug).

Could you consider some kind of one-off when a user really, really
needs this info where you *do* add debugQuery=on but restrict
the query to a single document they're interested in?

Best
Erick