About bumping MaxBooleanQueries. You can certainly
bump it up, but it's a legitimate question whether the
user is well served by allowing that pattern as opposed
to requiring 2 or 3 leading characters. The assumption
behind the maxBooleanClause restriction is that
when there get to be that many clauses, it's both
costly in terms of processing and ultimately not
much use to the search. YMMV of course, but
a* will probably match lots of terms in every document.

Best
Erick