I'm planning on having 1 Master and multiple slaves (cloud based, slaves
are going up / down randomly).

The slaves should be constantly available, meaning searching performance
should optimally not be affected by the updates at all.
It's unclear to me how the Cluster based replication works, does it copy
the files from the master and updates in place? In which case am I correct
to assume that except for cache being emptied the search performance in not
affects?

Does optimize on the master some how affects the performance of the slaves?
Is it recommended to run optimize after each update, assuming I'm not
concerted about locking the master for updates and it's OK if the optimize
finishes in under 20min?

Thank you,
Maxim.