Right. Mutlivalued fields use fieldCache for
faceting (as I remember) whereas single valued
fields don't under some circumstances. See:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCaching#The_Lucene_FieldCache

Before your change, you were probably using the
filterCache for what faceting you were doing.

So yes, you're probably memory-constrained at this
point. How much physical memory do you have anyway?

Best
Erick