You have several options:
1> if you can go to trunk (bleeding edge, I admit), you can
     get into the near real time (NRT) stuff.
2> You could maintain essentially a post-filter step where
      your app maintains a list of deleted messages and
     removes them from the response. This will cause
     some of your counts (e.g. facets, grouping) to be slightly
     off
3> Train your users to expect whatever latency you've
      built into the system (i.e. indexing, commit and replication)

Best
Erick