For those that are interested and have not noticed, the latest work on
SolrCloud and distributed indexing is now in trunk.

SolrCloud is our name for a new set of distributed capabilities that improve
upon the old style distributed search and index based replication.

It provides for high availability and fault tolerance while allowing for near
realtime search and an interface that matches what you are used to with
previous versions of Solr.

We are looking to release this in the next 4.0 release, and any feedback early
users can provide will be very useful. So if you have an interest in these
types of features, please take the latest trunk build for a spin and provide
some feedback.

There is still a lot more planned, so feel free to chime in on what you would
like to see - this is essentially the end of stage one.

You can read more about what we have done on the wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud

Also, a couple blog posts I recently saw pop up:

http://blog.sematext.com/2012/02/01/solrcloud-distributed-realtime-search
http://outerthought.org/blog/491-ot.html

I'll contribute my own blog post as well when I get a chance, but there should
be a fair amount of info there to get you started if you are interested.

Thanks,

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com