It's pretty hard to say, even with the data you've provided. But,
try adding &debugQuery=on and look particularly down near the
bottom there'll be a "<lst name="timing">" section. That
section lists the time taken by all the components of a search,
not just the QTime. Things like highlighting etc. that can
often give a clue where the time's spent.

What sort of wildcards are you using? Did you have to bump the
maxBooleanClauses?

This is a bit puzzling though....

Best
Erick