If I have a multivalued field with values as follows

and I do a query against that field with highlighting enabled as follows

/select?hl.fl=clothing&rows=5&q=clothing:black clothing:shirt&hl=on&indent=true

I thought I would see the following in the highlights

but instead I'm seeing the following

is this expected?

Also I'm using a custom highlighter which extends SolrHighlighter but
99.9% of it is a straight copy of DefaultSolrHighlighter with support
from pulling unstored fields from an external data base, so I expect
that this works the same was as DefaultSolrHighlighter, but if this is
not the expected case I will try with DefaultSolrHighlighter.