Do you mean you are pre-sorting the documents (by what criteria?)
yourself, before adding them to the index?

In which case... you should already be seeing some benefits (smaller
index size) than had you "randomly" added them (ie the vInts should
take fewer bytes), I think.  (Probably the savings would be greater
for better intblock codecs like PForDelta, SimpleX, but I'm not
sure...).

Or do you mean having a codec re-sort the documents (on flush/merge)?
I think this should be possible w/ the Codec API... but nobody has
tried it yet that I know of.

Note that the bulkpostings branch is effectively dead (nobody is
iterating on it, and we've removed the old bulk API from trunk), but
there is likely a GSoC project to add a PForDelta codec to trunk:

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com