On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm about to try out a contribution for serializing queries in
> Javascript using Jackson. I've previously done this by serializing my
> own data structure and putting the JSON into a custom query parameter.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate your effort, but I'm not sure if I
fully understand the gain.

Having data in JSON would still require it to be converted into Lucene
Query at the end which takes space & CPU effort, right? Or are you
saying that having query serialized into a structured data blob (JSON
in this case) makes it somehow easier to convert it into Lucene Query?

I only thought about Java serialization because:
- it's rather close to the in-object format
- the mechanism is rather stable and is an established standard in Java/JVM
- Lucene Queries seem to implement java.io.Serializable (haven't done
a thorough check but looks good on the surface)
- other conversions (e.g. using Xtream) are either slow or require
custom annotations. I personally don't see how would Lucene/Solr
include them in their core classes.

Anyway, it would still be interesting to hear if anyone could
elaborate on query parsing complexity.

m.