Thanks for the reply

The client expects a response within 2 minutes and after that will report
an error. When we build fresh it seems to work and the operation takes a
second or two to complete. Once it gets to a stage it hangs it simply
won't accept any further commits. I did an index check and all was ok.

I donĀ¹t see any major commit happening at any  time, it seems to just
hang. Even starting up and shutting down takes ages.

We make 3 - 4 commits a day.

We use solr 3.5

No autocommit