Guessing from the message,
java.lang.RuntimeException: [solrconfig.xml]
       indexDefaults/mergePolicy: missing mandatory attribute 'class'

somewhere in your solr configs you have something like:

        <mergePolicy>
          <int name="maxMergeAtOnce">10</int>
          <int name="segmentsPerTier">10</int>
        </mergePolicy>

rather than

        <mergePolicy class="org.apache.lucene.index.TieredMergePolicy">
          <int name="maxMergeAtOnce">10</int>
          <int name="segmentsPerTier">10</int>
        </mergePolicy>

although I suppose this could be a misleading error message if, say, your
classpath is confused or some such...

Best
Erick